Saturday, August 28, 2010

They Gave Me a Phone - or - Google is Awesome!

Google releases free long distance calling!

All of you are familiar with Google. (www.google.com)

Many of you are familiar with Gmail. (www.gmail.com)

Several of you have entertained thoughts that Google may try to take over the world.

But only a few of you have been watching Google's acquisition of Google Voice with acute interest. (www.google.com/voice)


Well, Google has finally done it!

The long awaited merger of Google Voice (formerly GrandCentral, for those of us who have been with them a long time) with other Google clients has finally arrived!


What does this mean? Simple --

FREE Long Distance Phone Calls anywhere in the United States (and only 2c a minute worldwide - no connection fee)!


As of yesterday (and for some of us, today), Gmail now has a "Call Phone" button. You can call directly from your computer, right from your gmail webpage. Any phone in the US - for FREE!


Way cool, right?

Not hardly ... check this out --


If you are a current Google Voice subscriber, the new Google calling service is directly linked to your Google Voice Phone Number!

What does this mean? Simple -- I call from Gmail, and you get my caller ID number (an actual US phone number). You call my caller ID number, it rings me. (My computer, my home, my cell - whatever combination I want!) All for free.


Free calling; free texting; free phone number!


Now, for some of my friends, this news is very thrilling. Perhaps not because they want to get their Google phone as soon as possible, but ...

Because they will be happy to know that my calls will no longer have a 000-000-0123 caller ID!



Read more:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/google-voice-is-added-to-gmail-boosts-exposure-but-still-falls-short-in-other-areas/38381


No comments:

Site Meter

Google Analytics