Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer 2010 Travelogue Part 2 (July 19-26)

Continued. Be sure to catch Part 1 if you missed it:
http://dlorimer.blogspot.com/2010/07/summer-2010-travelogue-part-1-july-12.html

Appalachian Youth Camp
Monday started with a short trip to AYC Camp. http://www.aymonline.org/> General orientation informed me that I had 5 distinct responsibilites. No worries; that's what we're there for! Monday night is exciting, because that's when teams are assigned! I was coach for the AA Jordanaires - and we had a great team!

The rest of the week was spent Bible Quizzing and playing basketball, volleyball, and softball. We had an awesome team! I really enjoyed the week with you all. Give a shout out if you're reading this! Kudos to Pam for her investment and preparation in the Bible Bowl! I enjoyed how you all really invested yourself in everything we did. We worked hard, and played hard, and it payed off! The 2nd day, we were 2nd place overall (1st in our division)! The 3rd day, we were 3rd overall. The last day, we dropped to 5th overall, thanks to playing against the #1 and #2 teams that day, lol. Special recognition to Tamera for playing on an injured ankle, and to Ryan for staying in and playing even though he was quite sick! Thanks guys! Each one of you was a great contribution to the team, and we couldn't have done it without you. I enjoyed having each one of you on the team!

In addition to coach, I was also a member of Team Compassion, Head Usher, Counselor, and Dorm Master. I have some great stories from that last position! lol.
The barn party was a blast! I helped out with some activities. It was a lot of fun. We finished out the week with the all-star games. There was some spectacular playing, and the Stars beat the Stiffs, which is very rare!

In Fortification

I left immediately after camp for a weekend of vacation. I drove down to Fort Monroe, VA to see my friends Josh and TJ (and the new addition, Rachel). I had a great time! We got to visit and catch up. :) They showed me around Fort Monroe, from the old battlements and guns to the museum, to the new destroyer that just happened to sail by, lol. (Be sure to check out the pictures!: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2000101&id=102800004 ) While it was nice to not have to wake up at a youth-camp-early-hour, I did anyway. Too used to it.


To the Beach!
Well, sorta. Leaving there, I headed south through the tunnel under the bay, and arrived shortly in Virginia Beach. I was headed to visit Chris and Hsin! I spent the rest of the weekend with my amazing friends Chris, Hsin, and Liz (who lives right near them now!). It was SO great to see them all again. We talked, laughed, played games, helped move Liz in to her new place, caught up, talked about old times, and had a wonderful time! The move in began to resemble creation -- from choas to order, and vegetation ensued! (that is, Chris and I playing video games!, lol) I learned a lot more about the special bond of friendship and what it means. It was a very special and wonderful weekend.
Visited Chris and Hsin's church on Sunday. Listened to a couple audio books on the trips. Watch the blog for more notes about those!


Over the Hills and Through the Woods
Headed home again ... About a 10 hour drive on Monday. My car lacks air conditioning, but thanks to a lucky incident (thanks to Shushan's phone call), I discovered that if I left 1 window up, an air vortex was created in the car that kept me quite cool. I spent some time praying and thinking the first part of the trip, talking on the phone for part of the trip, and the rest of the trip was spent with some awesome audio books. (Watch the blog for more about those later.)

I got on I-64 within 5 minutes of leaving their house, and stayed on it all the way back to KY. Lol, it made directions easy! The trip stayed interesting, as 7 hours were all new road to me -- even crossing the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains! Got home about 9:30pm, completing a very enjoyable 2 weeks of travel.

No comments:

Site Meter

Google Analytics