Friday, February 19, 2010

What Were They Thinking? (Part 2 - The Levite)

An Interview with the negative characters in the story of the "Good Samaritan."
Luke 10:25-37
In case you missed part 1, read it first.

The Levite came by.
I've often wondered why the Levite just passed by. The other day, I had the grand opportunity to meet this Levite. I asked him, "Why on earth did you pass by and not help this man?"

As he was driving along, he was suddenly shocked to see this tragedy at the side of the road. He quickly slowed down, but was suddenly arrested by his thoughts. This man was a scribe - a lawyer - and the law quickly spoke.

"Oh God, look at this disastrous mess! Do you want me to stop and help? Whoa - look at all that blood. Perhaps he is dead. If I touch a dead corpse, I will be defiled. God doesn't like association with death or evil things. This is a horrible thing. What can I do? It's too bad -- there's nothing I can do. I wonder if that person is even a Christian. Probably someone in a gang who got beat up when a drug deal went bad." *shudders*

"What if -- what if it's a trap? Maybe he's faking to get me to stop. I could get beat up, robbed, or killed! I don't know anything about that man. I don't know if I should . . . I don't know if it would be right . . . ."
While he was thus debating with himself, his car, slowly rolling, passed by.


Unfortunately, there is no part 3. I was not able to find the good Samaritan to interview him. I hope to meet him someday.

No comments:

Site Meter

Google Analytics