Sunday, November 2, 2008

Welcome to the Good Ol' Days

Nostalgia -
"a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition."
(Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, 2 November 2008  <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nostalgia>)

Welcome to the good ol' days.  I am glad to be here, and I hope you are too.
As I look back on the good ol' days, with honest face and open reflection, I am struck by a peculiar realization -- they weren't so great.  When I compare this same college with itself when I entered 7 years ago, I am stunned at the change.  These are the best days of our lives!  My class had the numbers; my class had the fanfare.  We were acclaimed, we were held up as examples.  We were carefree and we were sinful.  My class had more problems than any class I've observed over the last several years.  Many of us found our way through, and many of us are faithfully serving God today.  However, many have made shipwreck of the faith.  My heart breaks when I look back now.  I desperately wish I could have done something to help, but I was young and ignorant, and lacking understanding.  Oh, the painful stories of the good ol' days.

As I hear open and honest stories from my elders about the good ol' days, I am struck by a peculiar realization -- they weren't so great.  Oh, to hear of the pain and the trauma, the world of confusion and hurt, the fierce difference of opinion, prompting violence and mistrust!  The anguish that drove people mad.  The criticisms and questions that rendered them desperate and without hope.  Loss of faith, loss of feeling, loss of friends and family.  The years when emotion dried up in the face of stark reality.  The years, gaunt from lack of warmth, faith, and encouragement.  The times that turned our nation on its very foundation, and sent our youth flying every direction, seeking a real and solid place to perch.  The dark years where man, brother, and friend turned arms against each other, the disillusioned years where the One Nation and the people were marching opposing directions, the defying years, where all bases, morals, standards, modes, and values of life were challenged, changed, and carried out anew.
No one cries now.  The emotion has long since sunk into the hard earth of coping and continuing.  But I can hear the tears streaming down their voice as they share with me the painful stories of the good ol' days.


My friends, these are the good ol' days.  As I look at my alma mater today, where I live and work, I am both pleased and amazed with what I see.  I wish so deeply that I could have enjoyed the life these young people are blessed with.  Here, in this place, new classes arrive, more spiritually focused, more loving, and more godly than my class ever was.  They enjoy better surroundings, better instruction, better atmosphere, and better stability than I had the privilege of enjoying.  We have a share of problems and challenges, but none greater than we had in the past.  These are the good ol' days.

I look at life around us, and I do not quite know what I see.  We have great problems facing our nation, and the fear is once again that our nation is about to turn on its very foundation, and this time, fall off.  Some cry, "fear on every side!", while others speak, "peace, peace, in our time."  While we see our challenges and the momentous task that will face our generation, I yet see what may be the best days of our lives.  The whole national economy has corrected, and turned in our favor.  For the first time in years, houses, land, and the beginning of stable life is very affordable.  The housing market is perfect for rising young buyers to get quality homes without selling their life to the bank.  The stock market has corrected, and is currently at 10-year lows!*  What better time for promising young investors, who have long been avoiding the roller coaster market because they knew this was coming!  Our time is now, and it has been handed to us.  These days are not yet great, nor are they yet gruesome, for they are not yet gone.  My friends, these are the good ol' days.  What stories will we tell?

Were there good ol' days in the face of the trials, toils, and tears of the past?  Yes.  Were there good ol' days when life and nature together conspired against our predecessors?  Yes.  Were there good ol' days when brother fought brother, and mankind strove against itself?  Yes.  Were there good ol' days when our nation slipped out of its moorings, adrift in the open sea?  Yes.  Will there be good ol' days today and tomorrow?  Yes.

The good ol' days are made by how you live, who you love, and the God you serve.
My friend, these are the good ol' days.  What will you do with them?



* ~October 7, 2008

No comments:

Site Meter

Google Analytics